- Generate ability scores using any of the normal methods:
- Roll 4d6, drop lowest, may reroll if sum of modifiers < 2
- Standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)
- Point buy (27 points) - calculator
- Choose a Race, Class, and Culture
- Consult the compatibility tables below
- Light Elf = High Elf, Catfolk = Tabaxi, Dark Elf = Drow
- Ignore the standard 5e language rules and instead choose languages according to the Languages page
- Create character backstory elements:
- Immediate family - names, occupations, ages, where they live (or how they died)
- Reason for becoming an adventurer
Your character's Culture may be determined by where they are from or where their parents are from. Some Cultures limit Race and Class options.
- Common includes Araxia, Al-Uqh, Ao, Ambervale, Belgrit, and Ordinatus
- Dvergur is the common culture of the Dwarven / Gnomish subterranean settlements of Dvivverdelv, Zur-Tanak, and Kazdim.
- Henge and Dhol share a common culture in which magic is forbidden. A character from this culture cannot be any subclass with the Spellcasting feature or access to any spells (e.g. Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight) A special exemption is made for the Bard: Dholish/Hengian bards replace Spellcasting with a feature called Skald's Craft, which grants limited access to the Bard spell list to only those spells which can be justified as non-magical effects, e.g. Animal Friendship, Bane, Calm Emotions, and Comprehend Languages. Spells which cannot be explained in this manner (Mage Hand, Light, Thunderwave) are not available.
- Dwarves cannot be Eldritch Knights or Arcane Tricksters